Umoja (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a learning community dedicated to African Americans and other students' academic success, personal growth, and self-actualization. African and African American intellectual, cultural, and spiritual gifts inspire all Umoja values and practices.
Click here to learn more: Umoja Practices
What are the benefits of participating in AVC's Umoja Scholars program?
- Access to priority registration
- English courses that focus on the African American experience
- Support from Umoja counselors who help plan your academic pathway
- Professional mentorship
- Transfer Guidance: Personal essays, letters of recommendation, scholarships, etc.
- Motivational, cultural, and career workshops/activities
- Community engagement
- Participation in Umoja state-wide events
- Attend Umoja Orientation - online (for more information see below)
- Meet with a Umoja counselor once a semester
- Attend at least two Umoja events per semester
- If you are a first-time student, we highly encourage you to take a designated Umoja course (see below)
- Complete Umoja Scholars Interest Form
- After you have completed the interest form, you will be contacted by one of the Umoja Coordinators with more information about the Umoja Orientation
For more information or questions, please email email@example.com