Office for Students With Disabilities: Alternative Media and Text Production
Alternative Media Program (AMP) provides alternative formats for students who are eligible for this service. OSD's Alternative Media Specialist has the ability to convert standard print into large print, Braille, or into electronic text. In order to maintain the integrity of the service offered and comply with the law, the following rules apply to students who use the AMP:
1. Eligibility for this service is determined by the OSD Director or by a Disability Service Specialist, and is based in part on the professional documentation provided by the student.
2. The student must currently be registered at Antelope Valley College, matriculated in classes, and must be enrolled in the course for which they are requesting alternate formats.
3. Students requesting materials in alternative formats must own a physical copy of the textbook or other course materials, or have borrowed the book from the Books H.E.L.P. program.
4. Material provided to the AMP for the purpose of conversion to alternative format will be disassembled and returned to the student in its altered condition. A proof of purchase receipt is required when a textbook is to be dismantled and converted to a alternative format.
5. The AMP will not be held responsible for any damage to the materials that occur as a result of conversion to alternative format.
6. Students will be provided with one alternative format copy required for academic use. This material is copyrighted and may not be reproduced or distributed in any other format. Material must be course related and can include textbooks and class handouts.
6. Turn-around times for alternate format requests are available as a general timeline for completion. Each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and completion timelines are subject to change depending upon the specifics of the request. Upon review of material to be converted, the Alternate Media Specialist will notify the student within 3 working days of the projected completion date.
For more information regarding alternative text production, please email OSD at OSD@avc.edu, or call 661.722.6360.
To request an alternative format, complete the online request form in the Alternative Formats link within your OSD student profile.
Refer to the guidelines that apply to students who are eligible to receive text in an alternative format.