Bulk mail refers to large quantities of mail prepared for mailing at a reduced postage rate set forth by the United States Postal Service (USPS). The term "Bulk mail" means commercial First-Class Mail and advertising mail, otherwise known as "Standard mail" by the USPS. USPS uses the terms "Bulk" and "Presorted" interchangeably.
Some things MUST be mailed as First-Class Mail (or Priority Mail), including (but not limited to):
- Handwritten or typewritten material
- Accounting mail (i.e., bills, statements of account, invoices, etc.)
- Personal correspondence, personalized business correspondence (Any mail addressed to a specific person)
- All materials that are sealed or otherwise closed against inspection.
Bulk mail cannot contain personal/confidential information. Items that contain personal information must be sent First Class. The following are examples of what is considered Bulk mail:
- Printed materials
- Bulk mail requires 200 or more pieces of the same thing in your Bulk mailing.
- Bulk mail MUST be in envelopes with the permit number printed on them and each department is responsible for ordering these pre-printed envelopes. Envelopes can be ordered from the warehouse catalog and by emailing request to the Warehouse: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All mailing must be in zip code order beginning from smallest to largest. Miscellaneous pieces that do not fit with the rest can go in a separate tray in zip code order.
- It is imperative that you give a count of how many pieces begin with 935 and place them in numerical order. Anything that is not 935 will need to be counted and can be put in a separate tray in numerical order by zip code.
- Sorting must be done by the department before being delivered to mailroom. Trays are available in the mailroom.
- The Bulk Mail Request Form (provided below) MUST be signed by your Department's Dean or VP. The Mailroom cannot accept without signature.
- Once completed, please provide the mailing tray(s) with this approved form to one of the Mailroom/Duplication Technicians to process your request.