Campus walkway with banners

Cashier's Office: Form 1098-T

Form 1098-T reports tuition and fees to students enrolled in courses at Antelope Valley College during any given calendar year.  The information is used to determine if the student or parent is eligible for an educational tax credit. 

Antelope Valley College does not issue a 1098-T form if financial aid equals or exceeds tuition charges.  See IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, for more information.

Caution: Antelope Valley College cannot act as a tax advisor.  This information is for general guidance ONLY.

1098-T Questions & Answers (Q&A)

When will I get my 1098-T?

1098-Ts are issued no later than January 31st of each year.  Please allow at least two weeks for delivery.  If you do not receive a 1098-T, please go to the question, “Why didn’t I receive a 1098T?”

What is the College’s Tax ID Number?

 The District’s Tax ID number does not prove if a student enrolled in classes; therefore, we do not disclose the Tax ID number.  If you are asked for the Tax ID Number, print out your student account information showing that you enrolled in classes and submit this to your tax professional.

Why did I get a 1098-T? Is this a bill?

No, the 1098-T is not a bill.  It is a tax form showing that you registered at the college and had class fees for the year.

Are my book costs included on the 1098-T?

No.  Keep your book receipts and present them to your tax professional.

Why didn’t I receive a 1098-T?

Per IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, there is no double benefit allowed.  This means that if you received a scholarship, pell grant, employer-provided educational assistance, veteran’s educational assistance or any other tax-free payments that covered your class fees, then you will not receive a 1098-T tax form.  If only a portion of your class fees were covered by tax-free payments, then the remaining amount would be issued on a 1098-T tax form.

Can I claim the student health fee on my taxes?

Per IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, qualified education expenses do not include medical expenses (including the student health fees).  Please consult with your tax professional.

Can I claim the student rep fee on my taxes?

Per IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, this fee is considered a qualified education expense because it is required for enrollment at the college. Please consult with your tax professional.

I lost my 1098-T.  How can I get another one?

You can go to the website for MAXIMUS TRA Service and set up an account that will allow you to access and print your 1098-T form.

How do I update my contact information?

You must log into your student account online or visit the admissions and records office in person to update your contact information.

I have more questions that are not covered here. Who can I contact?

You can contact the cashier’s office at (661) 722-6300 ext. 6335.