AVC Logo
Campus walkway with banners

Financial Aid & Scholarships: Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grants

The Pell Grant program is the largest grant program in the country. It is the foundation for an award package. Pell Grants provide financial assistance to eligible part-time and full-time students and are calculated based on a student’s enrollment and Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Awards range from $767 to $7,395 (amounts may change each year).

Since the Pell Grant program is an entitlement program, funds are always available to qualifying students. If a student applies late but qualifies for a Pell Grant, he/she may be eligible for retroactive payment for the work completed during the enrollment period.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

This program provides jobs for students who have a need and must earn a portion of their educational expenses. The purpose of this program is to promote the part-time employment of college students. Jobs are available on campus as teacher aides, library assistants, cafeteria helpers, and clerks. A student may not begin work until he/she has been processed by the Human Resources Office.

Federal Work-Study Employment Authorization Form

Federal Direct Stafford Loans (DL)

Subsidized: A subsidized loan is a need-based loan. The federal government pays the interest on the loan when you are: 1) attending school at least half time [6 units]; 2) qualifying for an authorized deferment.

Unsubsidized: An unsubsidized loan is not need-based and a student who receives an unsubsidized loan is responsible for paying the interest. A student may choose to pay this interest while attending school or choose not to make the interest payments; the interest will be added or capitalized on the principal balance at repayment.

Annual Loan Limits: The chart below indicates the maximum annual loan limits for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, for dependent and independent students based on the academic level.

Dependent Students
Academic Level Subsidized Loan Limits Unsubsidized Loan Limits Total Direct Loan
Freshman <30units $3,500 $2,000 $5,500
Sophomore > 30 units $4,500 $2,000 $6,500
Independent Students
Academic Level Subsidized Loan Limits Unsubsidized Loan Limits Total Direct Loan
Freshman <30 units $3,500 $6,000 $9,500
Sophomore > 30 units $4,500 $6,000 $10,500

For more information visit https://www.avc.edu/studentservices/finaid/loans

California College Promise Grant

California College Promise Grant waives the mandatory college enrollment fee required by the State of California. The fee waiver can be processed quickly and students can register immediately for classes. To be eligible for the CCPG, a student must be a California resident or an AB540. 

Eligibility criteria for the CCPG Application include the following: students or their families must be receiving TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families)/CalWORKS, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), or General Assistance, or the student must meet the income limit based on family size.  Students should come to the Financial Aid Office in the month prior to registration to apply for this fee waiver.

Any combination of two primary consecutive terms (Fall and Spring) of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative course completion less than 50% may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.

You'll be notified within 30 days of the end of each term if you are being placed on either Academic (GPA) and/or Progress (Course Completion) probation. Your notification will include the information that the second term of probation will result in loss of fee waiver eligibility. After the second consecutive term of probation, you may lose eligibility for the fee waiver at your next registration opportunity.

Students who have not completed the FAFSA or Dream Act application may qualify for a fee waiver by completing the application. Please visit  https://www.avc.edu/studentservices/finaid/bogw for more information. 

Cal Grants

Cal Grant A

This program helps low and middle-income students pay tuition and fees at California State University and University of California campuses, independent colleges, and some private occupational career schools in California. Cal Grant A recipients who choose to attend a community college may be eligible for a Community College Reserve Grant (CC Reserve). CC Reserve recipients may hold their awards in reserve for up to two years until they transfer to a four-year school.

Cal Grant B

This program is for high-potential students from disadvantaged or low-income families who otherwise would not be able to pursue post-secondary education. Awards are for students who have completed no more than one semester of full-time study, or no more than 16 units of part-time study. At a community college, the award is limited to a subsistence grant for non-tuition costs. The maximum subsistence grant is $1,672. At an eligible four-year California school, the award would also include tuition and fees the same as Cal Grant A.

Cal Grant C

This program helps vocationally oriented students acquire marketable job skills within a short time period. A Cal Grant C may not be used to pursue a four-year degree program, graduate study, course prerequisites, or general education.

The student applies for the Cal Grant Program by completing the FAFSA or Dream Act application prior to March 2nd, preceding the next academic year they will enroll.

For more information on Cal Grants and the awarding process please visit Cal Grant page

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The Student Success Completion Grant is a new financial aid program that helps you afford full-time enrollment so you can graduate, begin your career, and start earning money sooner. If you’re a current California community college student or are planning to enroll, you now have the opportunity to receive more financial aid as a full-time student.

Visit the SSCG page for more information.


There are a number of scholarships available each year. Donors in the Antelope Valley community who want to help AVC students succeed make these scholarships available through the AVC Foundation Office. Some scholarships are based on financial need while others are based on academic major, career goal or life circumstances. You have a good chance of receiving a scholarship if you apply. Just take a few minutes to fill out the scholarship application (available online).

Visit our Scholarship page for more information.


If you are or were in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for childcare, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Apply online at https://chafee.csac.ca.gov/StudentApplication
Check your status at www.webgrants4students.org

Visit CHAFEE Grant page for more information