AVC Logo
Campus walkway with banners


There are some general requirements that must be met to be eligible for federal student aid:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the FASFA on-line at studentaid.gov
  • Demonstrate financial need. Financial need is the difference between the cost of attending Antelope Valley College and the amount of resources you expect to contribute toward your education as determined by the Federal Methodology
  • Be a Citizen/Eligible Non-citizen: You must be one of the following to receive student aid:
    • U.S. Citizen
    • U.S. National (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island
    • U.S. Permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551c (Alien Registration receipt card) If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole, Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending)
    • If you're in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you cannot get student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for student aid
  • Have a valid social security number
  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program. A regular student is defined as a person who enrolls for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate of achievement, or a transfer program
  • Declare a financial aid eligible major with Admissions and Records, and be taking courses towards that major. It is your responsibility to know your educational goal and the requirements to meet that goal. The Financial Aid Office does not provide academic advisement to students.
  • Have a high school diploma or has a recognized equivalent. The recognized equivalent may include the following:
    • GED certificate
    • Certificate demonstrating the passing of the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or state-authorized examination
    • Completion of homeschooling at the secondary level as defined by state law
    • An academic transcript showing completion of at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree
    • Passing the Ability-To-Benefit test or completion of 6-degree applicable college units if eligible. Only students who enrolled prior to July 1st, 2012 will have this option
  • Have resolved any default on a FSA loan or overpayment
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

Thumbnail of A Minute to Learn It - Federal Aid Eligibility