AVC Logo
Campus walkway with banners

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

  • How will I know my eligibility for financial aid?
    • Once your financial aid file is completely processed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access your award information.
  • What is the School Code for Antelope Valley College?
    • The school code is a 6 digit number that is required when filling out some Financial Aid forms. The school code for the Antelope Valley College Community College District is 001113.
  • How is the amount of Federal Pell Grant I receive determined?
    • Your eligibility for a Pell Grant is based on your expected family contribution (EFC). The EFC is calculated by the federal processor from the information submitted in your Student Aid Report (SAR). Your EFC and the number of units you're enrolled in at the time of check disbursement will determine your Pell grant amount.
  • Will financial aid pay for all of my school expenses?
    • Financial aid is available to supplement, not replace your efforts to pay for educational costs.
  • Are there any deadlines for financial aid?
    • Yes. There are deadlines you need to keep in mind.
      • AVC Financial Aid Office has deadlines for submitting the paperwork necessary for your financial aid file.
        • If you are enrolled in classes during fall 2023 but do not plan to enroll in classes for spring 2023- the deadline to submit paperwork is November 17, 2023.
        • If you are enrolled in classes during spring 2024 but do not plan to enroll in summer 2023 the deadline to submit paperwork is April 12, 2024.
        • If you are enrolled in classes during summer 2024, the deadline to submit paperwork is July 12, 2024.
      • The academic year 2023-2024
        • March 2, 2023- The state of California deadline for Cal-Grant application and AVC priority FAFSA application deadline.
        • September 2, 2023- There is a second deadline for Cal-Grant filing.
  • Do I have to be enrolled in a certain number of units to receive financial aid?
    • Each financial aid program has its own unit requirement. You must be enrolled in at least six units (half-time) to receive Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Cal-Grant, and Stafford Loan funds. You may be eligible to receive a Pell Grant if you are a less-than-half-time student. There is no minimum unit requirement for the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) 
  • I am taking classes at AVC and another college at the same time. Can I get financial aid from both schools?
    • No. You can only receive federal financial aid from one school at a time. If you are enrolled in two or more schools during the semester, you must decide which school will be the most beneficial for your financial aid needs and notify both schools of your decision. However, you are eligible for the CCPG at more than one California community college during the same semester.
  • Do I need to reapply for financial aid?
    • Yes. You must reapply each financial aid academic year.
    • The FAFSA application is available on October 1st of each year.
    • The FAFSA application for 2024-2025 School year will be available in December (More information to come)
    • Academic year 2023-2024-  includes: fall 2023 / spring 2024 / summer 2024
    • Academic year 2024-2025-  includes: fall 2024 / spring 2025 / summer 2025