AVC Logo
Campus walkway with banners

Transferring to a California State University campus just got easier

Introducing the Associate Degrees for Transfer.

California Community Colleges are now offering associate degrees for transfer to the CSU.  These may include Associate in Arts (AA-T) or Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees.  These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree.  California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses.

Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.

View the most current list of Antelope Valley College Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

What prompted the new degrees?

The goal of the transfer degrees is to save college students time and money by providing a clear pathway to achieve a bachelor’s degree.

Community college and CSU officials have worked to create at AVC the Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer and Associate in Science in Mathematics for Transfer. More degree programs in the most popular majors are planned.

AVC students can continue to earn degrees in other areas and transfer to CSU. However, these new degree programs are meant to simplify the process for community college transfer students.

What are the requirements for the AA-T and AS-T degrees?

The courses required for each of the AA-T and AS-T degrees are outlined in AVC’s catalog or in the degree section.

To earn an Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) or Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) degree in any of the approved disciplines a student must complete the following:

  • Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
    • The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
    • A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
  • Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.

ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.

Students should consult with an academic counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. These degrees may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system.

Want more information?

Consult the following pages:

or contact an AVC counselor to get more information.

What is C-ID?

The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by local California community colleges.  A C-ID number next to a course signals that participating California colleges and universities have determined that courses offered by other California community colleges are comparable in content and scope to courses offered on their own campuses, regardless of their unique titles or local course number.  Thus, if a schedule of classes or catalog lists a course bearing a C-ID number, for example COMM 110, students at that college can be assured that it will be accepted in lieu of a course bearing the C-ID COMM 110 designation at another community college.  In other words, the C-ID designation can be used to identify comparable courses at different community colleges. However, students should always go to www.assist.org to confirm how each college’s course will be accepted at a particular four-year college or university for transfer credit.

The C-ID numbering system is useful for students attending more than one community college and is applied to many of the transferable courses students need as preparation for transfer.  Because these course requirements may change and because courses may be modified and qualified for or deleted from the C-ID database, students should always check with a counselor to determine how C-ID designated courses fit into their educational plans for transfer.

Students may consult the ASSIST database at www.assist.org for specific information on C-ID course designations.  Counselors can always help students interpret or explain this information.